Non Resident Alien with a W2 and a 1099B - What are the obligations here?
Non Resident Alien with a W2 and a 1099B - What are the obligations here?
Loading saved threads...
ggy · External communityPost link
External question — Personal Finance Stack Exchange
Author: ggy
Original post: https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/157868
License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed.
I worked in the United States between the 1st of January 2023 and April 15th 2023. In addition to salary I had some RSUs and my company would sell some of the RSUs to cover tax obligations. The broker that kept the RSUs didn't allow me to file a W8BEN so they have a W9 on file which led to me getting a 1099B.
As far as I understand that sale of stock is still not effectively connected & as I have stayed in the US less than < 183 days the capital gains(loss in this case) is exempt from the United States even if I had a tax home in the United States between the 1st of January 2023 and April 15th 2023.
What does one do when they have a 1099B that they shouldn't have as the broker had W9 on file instead of a W8BEN?
Quote
Report
Post Reply
Checking account access…