the 2 hours rule

the 2 hours rule

Manage alerts

Loading saved threads...

Emmanuelle · External communityPost link
External question — Bitcoin Stack Exchange Author: Emmanuelle Original post: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/130942 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. I was wondering how accurate is the network adjusted time. That is is it possible than even if two miners rely on the network adjusted time they have computed based on their neighbours, two consecutive blocks of Bitcoin might show timestamps that show a difference much greater than two hours plus 15 mins ? many thanks
Quote
Report
RedGrittyBrick · External communityPost link
External answer — Bitcoin Stack Exchange Author: RedGrittyBrick Original post: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/130943 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. how accurate is the network adjusted time. Not at all accurate by comparison with other network protocols designed to produce accurate time. This is because it didn't need to be very accurate. As far as I know, Network Adjusted Time is something like the sum of local time plus the mean of the difference between local time and the reported time of each peer node whose time is within 70 minutes of local time. I think it is evident that this isn't always going to be very accurate. When using that, I would assume it can be tens of minutes out. By way of contrast, Network Time Protocol (NTP) can produce time accurate to milliseconds. There have been changes that affect whether network adjusted time is used at all. See references below. two consecutive blocks of Bitcoin might show timestamps that show a difference much greater than two hours plus 15 mins Yes. However, the timestamp difference of two consecutive blocks is not particularly important. It is the mean of timestamps of eleven consecutive blocks that is important. See How exactly is the timestamp calculated for the +2h acceptance rule and do I have to implement it in my Bitcoin node for the node to still be valid?
Quote
Report

Post Reply

Quoted from Forex.com.bd-Editorial External answer — Bitcoin Stack Exchange Author: RedGrittyBrick Source score (net votes, not local likes): 1 Original post: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/130943 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. how accurate is the network adjusted time. Not at all accurate by comparison with other network protocols designed to produce accurate time. This is because it didn't need to be very accurate. As far as I know, Network Adjusted Time is something like the sum of local time plus the mean of the difference between local time and the reported time of each peer node whose time is within 70 minutes of local time. I think it is evident that this isn't always going to be very accurate. When using that, I would assume it can be tens of minutes out. By way of contrast, Network Time Protocol (NTP) can produce time accurate to milliseconds. There have been changes that affect whether network adjusted time is used at all. See references below. two consecutive blocks of Bitcoin might show timestamps that show a difference much greater than two hours plus 15 mins Yes. However, the timestamp difference of two consecutive blocks is not particularly important. It is the mean of timestamps of eleven consecutive blocks that is important. See How exactly is the timestamp calculated for the +2h acceptance rule and do I have to implement it in my Bitcoin node for the node to still be valid?

Cancel quote

Checking account access…