Old non-HD wallet.dat stuck around 96.21% after IBD appears complete — wallet rescan or bottleneck?

Old non-HD wallet.dat stuck around 96.21% after IBD appears complete — wallet rescan or bottleneck?

Manage alerts

Loading saved threads...

fella · External communityPost link
External question — Bitcoin Stack Exchange Author: fella Original post: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/130753 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. I am trying to understand the state of an old Bitcoin Core wallet synchronization / rescan. Context: Wallet type: old legacy / non-HD wallet.dat, likely created around 2009–2011 Machine: dedicated MacBook Pro 2022/2023 Bitcoin Core runs 24/7 Sleep is disabled via: sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1 The machine is used only for Bitcoin Core Internet connection is stable LAN / fiber Current GUI progress: about 96.21% First documented progress: 94.46% on 2023-11-19 Important later points: 2025-12-21: 96.00% 2026-01-15: 96.04% 2026-02-27: 96.10% 2026-04-17: 96.17% current: 96.21% The data directory is around 80 GB The GUI currently shows 0.00000000 BTC I was told there may be many keys in the wallet keypool, possibly hundreds or thousands I was also told that around 36,612 blocks may still be open / unprocessed In debug.log I repeatedly see lines like: UpdateTip ... progress=1.000000 I also see several lines like: [net:warning] pcp: Could not receive response: Connection refused (61) I do NOT see obvious errors such as: corrupt database error wallet.dat corrupt cannot rescan beyond pruned height reindex required My questions: Old legacy/non-HD wallet.dat : Bitcoin Core has been extremely slow since 2023. The GUI is currently at 96.21%, the wallet shows 0 BTC, and debug.log repeatedly shows UpdateTip ... progress=1.000000 with no visible DB/corruption errors. Does this indicate a normal but very slow wallet rescan/DB bottleneck after completed IBD, or does it suggest a configuration/problem state? thank you in advance!
Quote
Report
Murch · External communityPost link
External answer — Bitcoin Stack Exchange Author: Murch Original post: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/130821 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. There are a bunch of odd things here that don’t fit together. A MacBook Pro 2023 should sync in a few days or less. Your data directory is only 80 GB, but you don’t think you are pruning. You wrote in your question “I was told there may be many keys in the wallet keypool, possibly hundreds or thousands”, “I was also told that around 36,612 blocks may still be open / unprocessed”. It seems to me that you are not running actual Bitcoin Core, but most likely acquired some software from a scammer that is trying to trick you, or are running some other form of malware.
Quote
Report

Post Reply

Quoted from Forex.com.bd-Editorial External question — Bitcoin Stack Exchange Author: fella Source score (net votes, not local likes): 0 Original post: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/130753 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. I am trying to understand the state of an old Bitcoin Core wallet synchronization / rescan. Context: Wallet type: old legacy / non-HD wallet.dat, likely created around 2009–2011 Machine: dedicated MacBook Pro 2022/2023 Bitcoin Core runs 24/7 Sleep is disabled via: sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1 The machine is used only for Bitcoin Core Internet connection is stable LAN / fiber Current GUI progress: about 96.21% First documented progress: 94.46% on 2023-11-19 Important later points: 2025-12-21: 96.00% 2026-01-15: 96.04% 2026-02-27: 96.10% 2026-04-17: 96.17% current: 96.21% The data directory is around 80 GB The GUI currently shows 0.00000000 BTC I was told there may be many keys in the wallet keypool, possibly hundreds or thousands I was also told that around 36,612 blocks may still be open / unprocessed In debug.log I repeatedly see lines like: UpdateTip ... progress=1.000000 I also see several lines like: [net:warning] pcp: Could not receive response: Connection refused (61) I do NOT see obvious errors such as: corrupt database error wallet.dat corrupt cannot rescan beyond pruned height reindex required My questions: Old legacy/non-HD wallet.dat : Bitcoin Core has been extremely slow since 2023. The GUI is currently at 96.21%, the wallet shows 0 BTC, and debug.log repeatedly shows UpdateTip ... progress=1.000000 with no visible DB/corruption errors. Does this indicate a normal but very slow wallet rescan/DB bottleneck after completed IBD, or does it suggest a configuration/problem state? thank you in advance!

Cancel quote

Checking account access…