NYSaves 529 Plan vs Vanguard Fidelity 529 Plans
NYSaves 529 Plan vs Vanguard Fidelity 529 Plans
Loading saved threads...
money.frictionlesspulley · External communityPost link
External question — Personal Finance Stack Exchange
Author: money.frictionlesspulley
Original post: https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/154430
License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed.
My partner and I live in NY State and file jointly.
I want to start investing into NY States 529 program here :
https://www.nysaves.org/
I am planning to invest 10k per year for tax deduction and not withdraw the amount till my dependents are college-age
What I know about the plan
take 10k deduction for joint filers
investment opportunities with Vanguard Total Coverage Index Funds
What are the pros / cons of choosing NYs plan directly versus opening a 529 account via brokers like Vanguard / Fidelity who I am have non tax advantage brokerage account with ?
Quote
Report
mhoran_psprep · External communityPost link
External answer — Personal Finance Stack Exchange
Author: mhoran_psprep
Original post: https://money.stackexchange.com/a/154434
License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed.
The biggest issue is the state tax deduction. If you choose the state plan you can get a state income tax deduction. If you pick some other 529 plan, then you don't get the state income tax deduction.
New York, like most of the 529 plans, allows you to put your money in a age based plan that will become more conservative as the child gets closer to college. New York also allows you to pick other portfolios that don't automatically adjust as the child ages, but does limit your ability to switch during the year.
You have to decide if the state tax break is worth it. If you are in the 6% bracket then the $10,000 deduction is worth $600. You could view not going with the state plan as a $600 fee on your contributions.
Most states recapture the tax break if you later roll the money out of the state 529 plan into another non-state plan. So if you know you will only be in New York for a year or two, you might decide to go with a non-state plan. Of course you can have multiple plans during the time before the child is done with college.
Quote
Report
Post Reply
Quoted from Forex.com.bd-Editorial External question — Personal Finance Stack Exchange Author: money.frictionlesspulley Source score (net votes, not local likes): 1 Original post: https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/154430 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. My partner and I live in NY State and file jointly. I want to start investing into NY States 529 program here : https://www.nysaves.org/ I am planning to invest 10k per year for tax deduction and not withdraw the amount till my dependents are college-age What I know about the plan take 10k deduction for joint filers investment opportunities with Vanguard Total Coverage Index Funds What are the pros / cons of choosing NYs plan directly versus opening a 529 account via brokers like Vanguard / Fidelity who I am have non tax advantage brokerage account with ?
Checking account access…