Is $S_0$ actually $F(0, 2)$ in pricing formulas for forex derivatives?

Is $S_0$ actually $F(0, 2)$ in pricing formulas for forex derivatives?

Manage alerts

Loading saved threads...

JamesAn · External communityPost link
External question — Quantitative Finance Stack Exchange Author: JamesAn Original post: https://quant.stackexchange.com/questions/85443 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. I am reading a book that says the value of an FX option is given by a formula involving $S_0$ . The same formula can be found in the Wikipedia article on foreign exchange options in which $c$ , the domestic currency value of a call option into the foreign currency is given as: $c=S_{0}e^{-r_{f}T}{\mathcal {N}}(d_{1})-Ke^{-r_{d}T}{\mathcal {N}}(d_{2})$ where ${\displaystyle d_{1}={\frac {\ln(S_{0}/K)+(r_{d}-r _{f}+\sigma ^{2}/2)T}{\sigma {\sqrt {T}}}}},$ $d_{2}=d_{1}-\sigma {\sqrt {T}},$ and $S_0$ is the current spot price, $K$ is the strike price, ${\mathcal {N}}(x)$ is the cumulative normal distribution function, $r_d$ is the domestic risk free simple interest rate, $r_f$ is the foreign risk free simple interest rate, $T$ is the time to maturity, and $\sigma$ is the volatility of the FX rate. My question is, given the settlement lag, is $S_0$ actually the exchange rate today, or $F(0, s)$ , the forward exchange rate where $s$ is the settlement lag, which could be 0 days, 1 day, 2 days, etc? The reason I'm confused is that on one hand, it seems to be that $F(0, s)$ is the correct number to use, since that is what I will actually receive if I exercise the option. But on the other hand, the book I am reading says that I can use $S_0$ to convert the value of my option from one currency to another by simply multiplying it .... but clearly if $S_0 = F(0, s)$ then this is not true, then I'd be getting the value of my option in another currency $s$ days from now, not today. So which one of these conflicting pieces of information is correct?
Quote
Report
river_rat · External communityPost link
External answer — Quantitative Finance Stack Exchange Author: river_rat Original post: https://quant.stackexchange.com/a/85461 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. So you typically need to keep track of 5 dates to get FX pricing correct in practice (ignoring crosses, where you may need a whole lot more dates). Pricing Date - $t$ Premium / Value Date - $t_v$ Spot Date @ Value / Pricing Date - $t_s$ Option Expiry Date - $T_e$ Delivery Date (which is typically the spot date at expiry but doesn't need to be) - $T_d$ The important thing to remember is that for vanilla options we don't price against spot. We use Black-76 so we are worried about the delivery date forward price. So we actually use this equation to price $$ DF(t, t_v, T_d)\times\left(F(t, t_s, T_e)N(d_1)-KN(d_2)\right)$$ This also explains some of the weird idiosyncrasies of the FX market like the Wednesday effect, weekend theta bleeds, the sawtooth vol pattern as these dates don't move in lockstep.
Quote
Report

Post Reply

Quoted from Forex.com.bd-Editorial External question — Quantitative Finance Stack Exchange Author: JamesAn Source score (net votes, not local likes): 1 Original post: https://quant.stackexchange.com/questions/85443 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. I am reading a book that says the value of an FX option is given by a formula involving $S_0$ . The same formula can be found in the Wikipedia article on foreign exchange options in which $c$ , the domestic currency value of a call option into the foreign currency is given as: $c=S_{0}e^{-r_{f}T}{\mathcal {N}}(d_{1})-Ke^{-r_{d}T}{\mathcal {N}}(d_{2})$ where ${\displaystyle d_{1}={\frac {\ln(S_{0}/K)+(r_{d}-r _{f}+\sigma ^{2}/2)T}{\sigma {\sqrt {T}}}}},$ $d_{2}=d_{1}-\sigma {\sqrt {T}},$ and $S_0$ is the current spot price, $K$ is the strike price, ${\mathcal {N}}(x)$ is the cumulative normal distribution function, $r_d$ is the domestic risk free simple interest rate, $r_f$ is the foreign risk free simple interest rate, $T$ is the time to maturity, and $\sigma$ is the volatility of the FX rate. My question is, given the settlement lag, is $S_0$ actually the exchange rate today, or $F(0, s)$ , the forward exchange rate where $s$ is the settlement lag, which could be 0 days, 1 day, 2 days, etc? The reason I'm confused is that on one hand, it seems to be that $F(0, s)$ is the correct number to use, since that is what I will actually receive if I exercise the option. But on the other hand, the book I am reading says that I can use $S_0$ to convert the value of my option from one currency to another by simply multiplying it .... but clearly if $S_0 = F(0, s)$ then this is not true, then I'd be getting the value of my option in another currency $s$ days from now, not today. So which one of these conflicting pieces of information is correct?

Cancel quote

Checking account access…