Has anyone actually built a robust sub-1h trading model?

Has anyone actually built a robust sub-1h trading model?

Manage alerts

Loading saved threads...

Adrian Velai · External communityPost link
External question — Quantitative Finance Stack Exchange Author: Adrian Velai Original post: https://quant.stackexchange.com/questions/85868 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. I keep finding the same breakpoint in systematic trading research: Below 1h, apparent edge tends to disappear once you include realistic costs, slippage, walk-forward testing, parameter perturbation and different training cutoffs. From 1h upwards, I have been able to obtain models that remain materially more stable under those same tests. So I am curious about the opposite case: Has anyone here built a 5m–30m model that remained genuinely robust out of sample after realistic execution costs? If yes, what was the key difference? Was it mainly: richer data than OHLCV, order-flow/microstructure features, much lower trade frequency, execution modeling, or a fundamentally different validation approach? I am not interested in impressive in-sample Sharpe ratios. I mean models that still look good after serious robustness testing.
Quote
Report

Post Reply

Quoted from Forex.com.bd-Editorial External question — Quantitative Finance Stack Exchange Author: Adrian Velai Source score (net votes, not local likes): 0 Original post: https://quant.stackexchange.com/questions/85868 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. I keep finding the same breakpoint in systematic trading research: Below 1h, apparent edge tends to disappear once you include realistic costs, slippage, walk-forward testing, parameter perturbation and different training cutoffs. From 1h upwards, I have been able to obtain models that remain materially more stable under those same tests. So I am curious about the opposite case: Has anyone here built a 5m–30m model that remained genuinely robust out of sample after realistic execution costs? If yes, what was the key difference? Was it mainly: richer data than OHLCV, order-flow/microstructure features, much lower trade frequency, execution modeling, or a fundamentally different validation approach? I am not interested in impressive in-sample Sharpe ratios. I mean models that still look good after serious robustness testing.

Cancel quote

Checking account access…