Can margin interest be added to a debit balance beyond 50% equity?

Can margin interest be added to a debit balance beyond 50% equity?

Manage alerts

Loading saved threads...

Chuck2289 · External communityPost link
External question — Personal Finance Stack Exchange Author: Chuck2289 Original post: https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/161148 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. I carry a margin balance and I am always trying to plan ahead for the worst-case scenarios… If I get below 50% equity in my mutual fund brokerage account because of market fluctuation and a margin balance, can the accruing margin interest continued to be added to the balance as is happening now? I realize that I would not be able to buy more shares or borrow more money because I am below 50%, but can the debit balance continue to be increased by the interest charges down to the brokerage’s margin call minimum percentage? Or would I have to take actions to cover each month’s interest charges? Is the answer to this question, a standard SEC policy or would it vary from broker to broker?
Quote
Report
Stefano S. · External communityPost link
External answer — Personal Finance Stack Exchange Author: Stefano S. Original post: https://money.stackexchange.com/a/169974 License: CC BY-SA 4.0 — https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ Adaptation: HTML converted to plain text; contact email addresses removed. Yes — the interest keeps compounding into your debit balance regardless of your equity percentage, and nobody can force you to pay it in cash before month-end. IBKR's own Margin Interest Calculations page describes the mechanism: each day's accrued interest adds to a running "Accrued Cash" balance that's applied to the trading balance daily and posted to the cash account at month-end, independent of margin utilization. So a stretch of poor performance means the debit balance grows twice — once from any new borrowing, and again from interest capitalizing on itself. The margin-call threshold isn't a single SEC number. Reg T sets the 50% initial requirement you mentioned; maintenance is FINRA's 25% floor, but brokers layer their own house requirement on top of that and can raise it whenever they judge a position volatile enough to warrant it. So it varies by broker, and can move at the same broker over time. A debit balance growing purely from capitalized interest is easy to miss if you only check utilization when the market moves. I check mine weekly for exactly this reason.
Quote
Report

Post Reply

Checking account access…